Black History Month Wales Free Showcase Event
For the 7th year, Wales Millennium Centre will host the highlight of Black History Month. The day-long music and dance showcase will be an excellent opportunity to celebrate African Diaspora culture and its contributions to Wales and beyond with music, song, dance, great food and great company.
The event will include performances from an all female line up:
• Fitzalan High School Steel Band, who will open the festivities with a bang, led by St Lucian Wahda.
• BBC Young Dancer Hip Hop finalist, Sharifa Tomkin, directed and choreographed by Jukebox Collective’s Liara Barussi.
• BBC Wales Horizons 2014 act Baby Queens will grace the stage. The all-girl, Wales based group, mix hip hop, rock, soul and reggae with breathtaking vocals.
• Cardiff based, Ballet Nimba combining traditional and contemporary West African dance and music in an exciting and dynamic way.
• A gospel choir with an edge; Place of Victory Gospel Choir, singing a mixture of traditional gospel and contemporary songs.
• Ffion Campbell-Davies, a London Contemporary Dance School graduate, just returned to Cardiff from Salvador de Bahia, with mesmerising Afro Brazilian and Youruban inspired dance.
• Hailing from Tiger Bay, Li Harding & co will be paying tribute to the great black lady singers of jazz, blues, soul, gospel and RnB; and of course, our very own Shirley Bassey.
• Muzik Lil Muzik, are back with their long anticipated single ‘Keep Wukkin’! Recently returned from Trinidad & Tobago, the veterans in the art of pelting waist are here to sing about it!
• And poet, singer and songwriter Lara Lee, will blend onomatopoeic phasing, musical accents and lyrics steeped in honesty, passion and experience, to replicate the beats of historical storytellers.
And if that weren’t enough, back by popular demand is local Chef Geraldine Trotman. The Caribbean menu served at Black History Month Celebrations in 2014, devised and created in collaboration with ffresh restaurant’s head chef, was a huge success and therefore Geraldine will be back consulting on this year’s menu, which will be served at ffresh bar.